Saturday, August 25, 2007

In Laws

So I thought maybe I'd tell you alittle about the in-laws. Jim's dad has suffered with a stroke for about 30 years, and has been getting worse and worse. Mom has been taking care of him all these years, (bless her soul), but there came a time when she just can't do it anymore. Mary went and got him about 3 weeks ago and took him home with her. It's been a good thing. Dad is not feeling real well and talks of not being around much longer, but knowing him he'll rally and be here for another 2 years. Time will tell. He is getting better care (not that mom didn't do it but he listens better for Mary) and mom is getting much needed rest. I've been at moms cleaning for her, it was dirty, believe me, and helping her get some things done. Now you have to understand that they are in their 80's and they are both alittle looney. Which brings me to my story I want to tell about what happened yesterday.
Mom has had some foot trouble for years, she had an ingrown toenail cut out in 1998 and she thought she had another one. But she just always put it off while dad was there, never wanting to take time to do it. And after dad left, she had a whole list of things she wanted done before she would do it. Which is what I've been doing in the last 3 weeks. So yesterday was the chosen day to go to the foot Dr. I pick her up and take her in and she is carrying this "Freelander" bag with 2 extra pairs of shoes and 3 pairs of socks in it. (what the heck) She's not sure which pair will feel good after he works on her toes. Anyway we get there and if I hadn't helped her fill out the medical papers, I think she would still be there. We wait in the little room for about 45 min before he comes in and he looks at her feet and she has no ingrown nail, her nails are just too long and they are rubbing her other toe. And she is talking this whole time and jabbering (just like Mattie) . Her big toe was rubbing with the next one and she had corns between the 2 toes. So I am sure they hurt her. They said they would soak her feet and work in them. The nurse said "follow me" and mom repeated" I should follow you?" When she was in the other room to soak her feet and I heard her ask if she should take her pants off, LOL, they only soaked her feet up to her ankles!!! "No just roll up your pant legs." Honestly, she sounded just like the Aunt Bethany in the movie Griswald Christmas. I just sat there and chuckled to myself. We got her feet all fixed up and yup, she wore the same pair of shoes home that she wore there. It did give me a good laugh for the day.
Parents, you gota love them, just hope we are not like them when we are old.
I will apologize right now if I am even close. Sorry girls.

3 comments:

Michele Patterson said...

Grandma is good for a nice laugh once in a while. I can very easily see how she reminds you of Aunt Bethany. Ha ha. I chuckle just thinking about it "I should follow you?"

Thanks for taking one for the team, Mom. :)

Mariejo812 said...

So funny Mom. Grandma is probably so thankful you were willing to take her. Thanks for taking one for the team!:) HeHeHe

Michele Patterson said...

All I have to say is "Freedlanders". Now that's funny. Sometimes I forget that Grandma soaked them for everything they've got by keeping every and anything she ever laid her hands on there. That's funny.

I love that her whole problem was summed up with the diagnosis of "you need to trim your toe nails". That's funny.

And I hope that next time you take Grandma somewhere you take a voice recorder along to capture when she asks questions like, "Should I take my pants off?" That's funny.

Funny, Funny old lady. I think Joe and I should have investigated a little more before we bought into this looney family.

It's nice that you're the one who will end up having her move in with you though. Too bad she'll outlive you and Jim and end up living with Marie & Joe then. Glad I married the youngest one.

-JP